Thursday, October 12, 2017

Forever Saints Fans & Unconditional Love

My memoir, The Forever Saints Fan Club, is about four devoted Saints fans who loved the New Orleans Saints and who loved me unconditionally. Because of the recent controversy in the NFL about players kneeling to protest instead of standing to honor our flag and nation during the performance of our National Anthem, many fans are boycotting professional football teams and games.

It saddens me that this is happening and I agree and disagree with those on both sides of the debate. Maybe the players who choose to protest can do so before and/or after the game, but I think they should all stand for the National Anthem. Having said that, the only thing I know for certain is that those four loved ones I write about in my book would never abandon the Saints. When I say these fans loved the Saints unconditionally, I mean it. No matter what. Even when they saw fellow fans wear bags over their heads, they did not give up on their team. It was always, "wait til next week or next year."

I always say I am not a crazy, devoted, fan like my loved ones and so many like them who were, but I love my Saints team and the Who Dat Nation. I may not have liked some individual players or certain coaches over the years, but I love the Saints. I wish them a winning season. I, for one, will be watching, along with Forever Saints Fans everywhere, here and in Heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment